Search 
 Search Images 
 About 
   
KeywordBrowseFinding AidsCombinedBrowse Images Search HistoryAll Catalogs
Search:    Refine Search  
> You are only searching: Archives, Manuscripts and Photographs
 
More Smithsonian Searches
 
 Who else has...
 
  •  
  • Sterling Drug, Inc.
     
  •  
  • Antibiotics
     
  •  
  • Analgesics
     
  •  
  • Barbiturates
     
  •  
  • Anesthesia
     
  •  
  • Advertising
     
  •  
  • Medicine
     
  •  
  • Pharmaceutical industry
     
  •  
  • Eastman Kodak Co.
     
  •  
  • Financial records
     
  •  
  • Photographs
     
  •  
  • Newsletters
     
  •  
  • Clippings
     
  •  
  • Press releases
     
  •  
  • Business records
     
  •  
  • Manuals
     
  •  
  • Price lists
     
  •  
  • Catalogs
     
  •  
  • Brochures
     
  •  
  • Advertisements
     
     
    Sterling Drug, Inc. Records, 1867-1995.
     
    Add to my list
    Creator: 
    Sterling Drug, Inc. (creator).
    Title: 
    Sterling Drug, Inc. Records, 1867-1995.
    Phy. Description: 
    150 cu. ft. : 267 boxes.
    Bio / His Notes: 
    Sterling Drug was founded in 1901 by William E. Weiss and Albert H. Diebold of Wheeling, West Viginia, to manufacture and sell a pain-relieving preparation called "Neuralgine". The company's original name was Neuralgyline. Within a few years, Weiss and Diebold realized that expansion required more product lines and that these would be best obtained by acquisition. This policy continued throughout the life of the organization. At least 130 companies were acquired between 1902 and 1986. Weiss and Diebold changed the name of the company in 1917 to Sterling Drug, Inc. Sterling Drug benefited from World War I. Because supplies of drugs from Germany were cut off by the Allied blockade, they set up the Winthrop Company to manufacture the active ingredients. After the war, Sterling acquired the American Bayer Company. They established a separate subsidiary, the Bayer Company, to market Bayer Aspirin. During the 1930s, Winthrop made Sterling a leader in the pharmaceutical field with such renowned products as Luminal, the original phenobarbitol; Salvarsan and Neo-Salvarsan, the first effective drugs in the treatment of syphillis; Prontosil, the first of the sulfa drugs; and Atabrine, the synthetic antimalarial that replaced quinine during World War II. The company expanded overseas in 1938, and eventually operated about seventy plants in about forty countries. Sterling was especially profitable in Latin America. In 1988, in order to avoid a hostile takeover by Hofmann-LaRoche, Sterling became a division of Eastman Kodak and remained one until 1994 when Kodak decided to dispose of its health-related businesses.
    Scope and Content: 
    The collection contains domestic and foreign advertising for both pharmaceutical and consumer health care products; sales and marketing materials for pharmaceuticals aimed at physicians, such as brochures, package inserts, reports, catalogs, price lists, manuals; the company's business and administrative papers, including annual reports, news releases, clippings, newsletters and publications, financial and corporate files, histories, memorabilia, and photographs.
    Organization: 
    Divided into 4 series: Products, Advertising, Sales and Marketing, and Corporate Affairs.
    Provenance: 
    In 1991 Sterling Drug retained the History Factory to process, catalog and provide reference access to the collection, which it continued to do until Sterling Drug's divestiture in 1995. The History Factory contacted the companies having ownership of materials within the Sterling Drug, Inc. Collection, and received disposition rights. The History Factory donated the archival collection to the Archives Center in 2001, at which time they donated numerous artifacts to the Division of Science, Medicine and Society, National Museum of American History.
    Finding aids: 
    Register available in Archives Center.
    Loc. of Assoc. Material: 
    The papers of the Winthrop Chemical Company, a subsidiary of Sterling Drug, Inc. are located in the College of Physicians of Philadelphia.
    Cite as: 
    Sterling Drug, Inc. Records, 1867-1995, Archives Center, National Museum of American History.
    Restrictions: 
    Unrestricted research access on-site by appointment. However, most of the collection is stored off-site and special arrangements must be made to work with it. Unprotected photographs must be handled with gloves.
    Fees for commercial reproduction.
    Reproduction restricted due to copyright or trademark.
    Subject-Topical: 
    Antibiotics
    Analgesics
    Barbiturates
    Anesthesia
    Advertising
    Medicine
    Pharmaceutical industry
    Subject-Name: 
    Eastman Kodak Co.
    Form / Genre: 
    Financial records
    Photographs -- 20th century
    Newsletters -- 20th century
    Clippings
    Press releases
    Business records -- 20th century.
    Manuals
    Price lists
    Catalogs
    Brochures
    Advertisements -- 20th century.
    Repository Loc: 
    Smithsonian Institution, National Museum of American History : Archives Center. P.O. Box 37012, Suite 1100, MRC 601, Constitution Ave., between 12th and 14th Sts., N.W., Washington, D.C. 20013-7012. Call 202-633-3270 for appointment. Fax: 202-786-2453.
    Local Number: 
    2001.3045 (NMAH Acc.)
    Co-Creator: 
    Winthrop Chemical Company
    Bayer Company
    History Factory Chantilly, Virginia (donor).
    Item Information
    RepositoryCall No. 
    Archives Center at American HistoryACNMAH 0772Add Copy to MyList

    Format:HTMLPlain textDelimited
    Subject: 
    Email to:


     Powered by Dynix
    About | © 2012 Smithsonian | Terms of Use | Privacy | Contact
    SIRIS - Smithsonian Institution Research Information System